First day of school here in Rapid means it will be mighty quiet on these streets and the air will be tinged with purpose. It should make me jump for joy and do a little dance but . . .
It’s Monday. Yes, we had a very productive/restful weekend (it is possible for this to happen!) but doggone, we’ve got something every night this week and it’s got me feeling tired before we even begin.
As Jac tells me all the time, “It’s all in your head, Melman.” So, instead of moping (oh, how I love a good mope!) I will share some things that are making me happiest right now.
– A full night’s sleep. Gemma slept through the night last night in her crib. !!!!! I woke up feeling like a new person!
– Date nights. Jac always plans these and finds the sitter. Add that guy to my favorites list. . . Anyway, this weekend’s night out was thanks to the Wittes who gifted me with kid watching and supper for my birthday. Thanks, guys!
– When the waitress on date night is shocked and then refuses to believe we have five kids because we look too young. I almost got up and hugged her. Almost.
– Highway 36. Last week it was Highway 40. Both are achingly beautiful and had me deciding that we need some land in the Hills pronto. Country drives are just sooo gooood.
– Homeschool field trips. That’s what caused the drive on Highway 36 – an end of summer hurrah at Legion Lake with the home schoolers. Picnic lunch, sunburns, sand caked bodies-CHECK! Good times.
– Kids that fall asleep in the car before it’s rolling. LOVE IT!
– New Favorite Album: The Okie Dokie Brothers – Can You Canoe Max recieved this as a feast day gift from the Minnesota Yantes Clan. Many, many thanks! It was played all the way to and from Custer State park and every car ride since. Something about the banjos and lyrics and the promise of adventure makes my throat ache, in a good way, so thanks for that. We laugh out loud during some of the songs and get misty eyed over others. They’ve been in our heads and on our lips all weekend. Check out Haul Away Joe. I can’t stop singing it.
– Picking up our fair winnings. Not as good a haul as last year (those judges were brutal! Says Jac, “Well, they are JUDGES.” Got it.) but more than we had before! We talked it all over and explained it all, but when I handed the envelopes directly to the kids, Ellie went wide eyed and yelled, “Mama! There’s money in here!” She hasn’t let the envelop out of her hands since.
– Reading about this family’s adoption journey. They meet their daughter for the first time today. How exciting! Pray for them, please!
– Seeing this woman at Armadillos with her kids. It was like seeing a wolf. Or maybe a celebrity. Either way, awesome. I just smiled and tried not to be all, “OHMYGEEZ! I know you!”
– Audible Books. Most specifically Adam Carolla’s Not Taco Bell Material. We laughed until we couldn’t breathe. Tears streaked down our faces. We had to rewind and listen again. It’s language is atrocious so I can’t recommend it. Don’t tell my mom I listen to things like that.
– This YouTube channel. Jac found it and it’s just so ridiculous and cool AND features British accents! Don’t watch the paintball one. Okay fine, but I warned you!
– This movie trailer remix. Before the Okie Dokie Brothers it was the song that was stuck in our heads. Afro Circus is a Top Ten Phrase in Casa De Daniel now.
– This company is amazing. No, really. Jac has dubbed it “The Magic Cloth” and it totally lives up to the name. I was so impressed, I’m hosting my very first grown-up home-sale party. This Friday! Excited and terrified all at once. But I love these Magic Cloths!
– When couples love their photos. Even better when they’re fun folks. Congrats you crazy kids!
Would ya look at that? I feel better about today already! Happy Monday, friends!